11 Responses to “Meta data. The effects of surveillance”

1. Elisabeth February 19, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

And already, I’m scared. This crazy imposition, as if we are living in some sort of panopticon, as were our convict ancestors. History has a way of repeating itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon

Liked by 1 person

• Jennifer Wilson February 19, 2015 at 8:11 pm #

Yes, that’s the metaphor Foucault uses in his Discipline and Punish, Bentham’s panopticon

• helvityni February 20, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Germany has stopped storing metadata, we are bit slow here…

2. unsimplelife February 19, 2015 at 7:53 pm #

One way or another, it is going to happen. I think we need to move on from the vile nature of the bill and look at our alternatives. Interestingly enough, there are a number of online services deemed o’er of scope’ in the proposed legislation. However, more interesting is where the cross over happens between out of scope in Australia, and already watched by the US. I’m doing some research at the moment, will post it when I can

Liked by 2 people

• Jennifer Wilson February 19, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

Brilliant, thanks unsimplelife.

• unsimplelife February 19, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

I have worked in government and finance in it for 7 years mate. Only seems fitting in shed some light where I can now I am free to do so

Liked by 1 person

3. paul walter February 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm #

Roflmao. Elisabeth.. more and more I get to like you.

Guilty till proven innocent.

Liked by 1 person

4. Michaela Tschudi February 19, 2015 at 9:37 pm #

Assuming there is no God, who’s watching those who are watching us? Spooky to be reading Kafka’s The Trial with my teenage daughter at the moment.

Liked by 1 person

5. paul walter February 19, 2015 at 11:18 pm #

Marvellous novel.

The Orson Welles film from the late ‘fifties was a fascinating interpretation of it and novels like Steppenwolf, Handmaids Tale, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 nearly emulate its suffocating claustrophobia.

Perhaps the ultimate disempowerment novel.

Liked by 1 person

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Meta data and the effects of surveillance February 19, 2015 Written by: The AIM Network | winstonclose - February 20, 2015

[…] This article was first published on Jennifer’s blog No Place For Sheep. […]

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,042 other followers