If the government and the opposition have any sense and decency, they’ll give up their vile battle to find some way of forcing off-shore processing, and take advantage of today’s High Court decision to co-operatively work towards processing all asylum seeker claims on-shore, and resettling those found to be refugees.
Nobody has to lose face. The Court has made the decision for them with a resounding 6-1 majority. Both government and opposition have no choice but to accept this. The Malaysian solution is illegal. The decision could also affect plans to send asylum seekers to either Nauru or Manus Island.
Time to end this shameful decade. We do indeed live in a wonderful country when our judiciary can hold our government accountable and prevent profoundly unethical, immoral and cruel action against those who have done nothing more than request the help we are legally obliged to offer.
- Court sinks Malaysia asylum deal (theage.com.au)
- Malaysian swap deal ruled unlawful (news.theage.com.au)
- Australian High Court rules Australia cannot send asylum seekers to Malaysia – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- Australia’s high court rejects Malaysian asylum-seeker deal (guardian.co.uk)
- High Court rules Australia cannot send asylum seekers to Malaysia (cnn.com)
- Australia refugee deal ‘illegal’ (bbc.co.uk)